Quebec Family Class

To get into Quebec Family Class Sponsorship, individuals wish to immigrate to Canada must have a close relative willing to sponsor them and that relative must either be a Canadian citizen or a Canadian Permanent Resident resides in the province of Quebec.

The sponsor process for your family begins when you, as a citizen or permanent resident in Canada, apply to be a sponsor. As a sponsor you and your relative must meet certain requirements, similar to Federal sponsorship. At first, Quebec residents sponsoring a relative, must submit sponsorship application to the government of Canada (Case Processing Centre). If you are found eligible to sponsor, you must submit an undertaking application including an application by the sponsored person for Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ) to the government of Quebec.

If you sponsor a relative to get into Canada as a permanent resident, you are responsible for supporting your relative financially when he or she arrives. As a sponsor, you must make sure your spouse or relative does not need to seek financial assistance from the government. Similar to Federal Sponsorship, there are two different processes for sponsoring your family to Quebec. One process is used for sponsoring your spouse, conjugal or common-law partner and/or dependent children.

Another process is used to sponsor other eligible relatives:

  • Sponsoring a spouse, partner or dependent child
  • Sponsoring other eligible relatives


Sponsoring a spouse, partner or dependent child:

Your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children (including children adopted by you prior to settling in Quebec) may be eligible to immigrate to Canada as permanent residents.

You can sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children if you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada who lives in Quebec. To be a sponsor, you must be 18 years of age or older.

You can apply as a sponsor if your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or accompanying dependent children live with you in Quebec, even if they do not have legal status in Canada.


To be a sponsor:

  • You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative, on demand. This agreement also says the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support her or himself.
  • You must provide financial support for a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner for three years from the date they become a permanent resident.
  • You must provide financial support for a dependent child either for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.


You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:

  • when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past but failed to provide financial support you agreed in prior.
  • defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
  • received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issued
  • defaulted on an immigration loan—late or missed payments
  • are in prison
  • have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet or
  • have previously sponsored relatives who later turned to the government for financial assistance, you may not be allowed to sponsor another person.

Other factors not included in this list might also make you ineligible to sponsor a relative.