Family and Spouse Visa

Certain provinces reunite families through their Provincial Nominee Programs, offering fast-track processing of Canadian immigration applications for people with family members who are residents of that province or territory. Some Provincial Nominee Program allows Canadian citizens or permanent residents to sponsor the same qualifying family members as the Federal Family Class, however other programs are a bit more laxed and are open for more distant relations, such as cousins.


If you are a permanent resident or citizen of Canada and over 18 years of age, then you are probably eligible to sponsor a spouse or a common-law or conjugal partner or dependent children who wants to become permanent residents of Canada if they live outside of Canada or they live in Canada with you if you meet certain criteria. The process of sponsoring a family member is usually just a 3 step process.

  • Determine Eligibility.
  • Apply for Permanent Resident Visa.
  • Check Processing Times.

Once this process gets completed the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, Ontario (CPC-M) will review your sponsorship application. If you are approved as a sponsor, the person you want to sponsor is assessed to see if they meet permanent residence requirements. If you are refused as a sponsor, your relative may still apply for permanent residence, however, their chances of getting might be bleak.

You can sponsor your kin via one of the following program(as applicable):

  • Spouse or Partner.
  • Parent and Grandparent Super Visa.
  • Dependent Visa(for Dependent Children or Relatives).

Under the Family Class, you can sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or child who lives outside Canada. You will need to use an application package based on where the sponsee lives.

In case you live in Quebec, in addition to the general requirements. you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor.