Visa and Entry requirements

Germany has all the freedom to live and study. There is no visa required for the students from the European Union countries or Schengen territories like Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Liechtenstein to travel to Germany. For students from other countries, there is a student visa required to settle and study in Germany.

If you want to study in Germany, you need to have a proper German Study VISA at the Embassy or Consulate of Germany in your country to settle and study in Germany. Before applying for the visa, You need to receive the acceptance letter from the university that you are going to study in Germany or expecting the acceptance letter from the university that you are going to study in Germany. There are three types of student visa are given to settle and study in Germany,

  • Language Course Visa (Visa for Language Learning), for the students who wants to study the German language in Germany.
  • Student Applicant Visa (VisumZurStudienbewerbung), for the students who did not find the right place or course to study in Germany or waiting for the acceptance letter from a university in Germany.
  • Student Visa (VisumZuStudienzwecken), for the students who got accepted or enrolled in a university in Germany

How to Apply for Students Visa?

You should start the process of applying for the visa, as soon as you decide to move to Germany for studying. You should at least apply three months prior to your visit. You should contact the local German embassy for further visa processes. The necessary documents are your valid passport, the acceptance letter from the university you have enrolled to study in Germany, visa application form, academic records, German language certificate, health insurance certificate, proof that you have sufficient funding to study in Germany and declaration for the authenticity of the documents you have submitted. You will also need a resident permit for your student visa.

How to Apply for a Resident Permit?

You have to ensure that you have a required resident permit to live in a particular area of Germany. You will have to register with the local Alien Registration Office (BürgeramtorEinwohnermeldeamt) within two weeks of your arrival. The documents you need to provide are your valid passport, current visa, the acceptance letter from the university you have enrolled to study in Germany, health insurance, proof of sufficient finance, German language certificate, your tenancy agreement, resident permit fee. This residence permit is valid for two years, and, if needed, you should renew before it expires. Residence permits initially cost €110 and then the fee is €80 for each extension.

Student Applicant Visa

This visa allows you to stay in Germany to look for a university program for three months. If you are not accepted to study at a German university, you consider applying for this visa to enter Germany. If you are not enrolled within the time period of three months, you may apply for the extension of this visa for the time period of six months. You have to provide the proof of your application to a German university before applying for this visa. This visa will be converted as a student visa after your enrollment in a university.